Monday, April 2, 2018

History major Taqiyah Gibbons receives AAUW scholarship to study abroad

History major Taqiyah Gibbons ('18) has received an award from the American Association of University Women's Chamberlin Grant & Loan fund, administered by the Buffalo Chapter of the AAUW. Taqiyah is a History major with minors in Public History, Pre-Law Studies, Criminal Justice, and Black Studies. She will use the award to help pay for a study abroad trip this summer.


Taqiyah Gibbons

The award from the AAUW is helping Taqiyah to realize her dream of international study:

"The American Association of University Women is an organization that I have not only supported for a long time but whose mission I closely align with. I have wanted to study abroad since my freshman year but because I come from a single parent household that idea has always seemed impossible. 

After doing my research, I decided to apply for the Chamberlin Grant through the Buffalo Chapter of AAUW. A few months and an interview later I was blessed to receive the grant, making it possible to finally study abroad. This is my final year and I wanted to end it knowing that I got the best experience out of my college career. AAUW believed in me enough to support one of my dreams and I am truly grateful that because of them this summer I will be able to leave this country for the first time and begin my journey of traveling the world."
The Chamberlin Loan program, which has been in operation since 1973, provides financial support  to underwrite educational expenses for female students, mainly in the form of low-interest loans. You can learn more about the Chamberlin Loan program and other grants offered by the AAUW's Buffalo chapter here.

Daemen's AAUW Student Organization supports and upholds the AAUW mission of expanding educational opportunities for women and narrowing the gender pay gap. The club is open to all Daemen students, who also receive a free e-membership from the AAUW because of Daemen's institutional membership in the AAUW. To join as a student member, click here and scroll down to the "Free e-Student Membership" link for AAUW College/University members. To learn more about Daemen's AAUW Student Organization, or to become a member, contact Dr. Penny Messinger, Women's Studies program director and faculty advisor for the AAUW Student Organization.

Daemen offers study-abroad opportunities all over the world. Interested in studying abroad? Contact our Global Programs office to learn more. 

1 comment:

Betty said...

We in the Buffalo Branch of AAUW are proud and happy to support Taqiyah in her dreams. Lifelong learning is one of the cornerstones of the organization!

Post a Comment