Saturday, February 22, 2014

Spring 2014 Internships

Connecting the Classroom with Experiential Learning

The History and Political Science Department encourages our students to connect theory and practice by pursuing internship opportunities as a pathway toward individual career goals.

Check out where a few of our majors are interning this semester and watch the blog for updates and additional posts! 


Kelsey Francemone, a Political Science Major with a Criminal Justice Minor, is currently interning with the Village of Solvay Police Department in Solvay, New York. 

Kelsey writes "I grew up around police officers, but never saw the side to the job that my dad didn't bring home. Although this experience is very exciting and fun, I've also encountered some dangerous situations. Ultimately, it has taught me a lot about the field of law enforcement, and assured me that this is the field I want to enter after college. I am very glad to have the opportunity to intern for the Solvay Police Department. It has given me experience and a leg up when it comes to seeking a job in the field." Kelsey will be exploring the merger of public safety services in New York State for her Senior Thesis project. 

Kelsey Francemone (Political Science Major, 2015) is interning
with the Village of Solvay Police Department.
She is pictured here with her supervisor, Sergeant Derek Osbeck. 



Fuad Abdul, Political Science, is participating in the Washington Internship Program and is working with the U.S. Associates of Former Members of Congress in Washington, D.C.


Fuad Abdul (Political Science, 2014)




Fuad is currently serving as an intern for Congressional studies on Turkey at the U.S. Association of Former Members of Congress where he "assists with planning events, including overseas study tours, community outreach, research and editing, provides translation services, [and] attends and reports on international conferences."







Elias Cobti, Political Science, is also with the Washington Internship Program, and is working at the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in Washington, D.C.  
Elias Cobti (Political Science, 2014)

Elias reports that he has called up on the knowledge gained from his coursework "when engaging with my new teachers and internship advisers. I will do my best to pass on the knowledge that I have gained from this experience in order to help future students succeed. [The Washington Internship Institute Opportunity] is an extremely worthwhile program, and it has helped to reinforce all of the values that have been stressed throughout college." 




 Jessica Todd, a History Major with a Public History Minor, is currently interning at the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historical Site in Buffalo, New York. 

Jessica writes:  "My experience so far is amazing!  I have met people that share my passion for history and my nerdy side. I am experiencing all of the different aspects of being a curator, including creating an event, working with volunteers and the public as well as getting to add artifacts into the collection.... I want to be a museum curator and the two career goals for which I'm aiming (I hope I will do at least one in my life time) is to work in any of the Smithsonian museums or at the Strong National Museum of Play -- because in all honesty I am a child at heart."  

Jessica Todd (History, 2015) seen here with
"Moosevelt," is interning at the TR Inaugural Site. 


To Learn more about internship opportunities and the Washington Internship Institute please contact your faculty advisor in the History & Political Science Department or visit the the Career Services Office at Daemen College.  

No comments:

Post a Comment