Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Guest Blog - Jordan Sieracki (2015, History & Political Science)

Jordan (2015, History & Political Science)

Guest Blog: 

The History and Political Science Department’s guidance has been instrumental in my undergraduate success and in preparation for my future law school plans.  In the summer of 2012, with the encouragement of my academic advisors, I applied to and was one of twenty area students selected to be a participant in the Law School Admissions Council Pre-law Scholar’s Program at University at Buffalo Law School. Last summer. I received an opportunity to travel to Poland to study Polish language and culture. My scholarship was awarded through the Kosciusko Foundation, and my travel was supported by a private donation from a Daemen almunus.  This spring, I received a scholarship* to take a Kaplan LSAT Prep Course that helped me improve my initial diagnostic score by 15 points when I took the LSAT officially this June. I would have not been able to take advantage of these amazing and life-changing opportunities without the advisement, encouragement, and recommendation letters of the professors in my Department.

My advice for any other students looking to take the LSAT is practice, practice, practice! Hard does not mean impossible. The preparation course provided the structure and instruction I needed, but ultimately it all comes down to diligently practicing a new skill set. You have to practice tackling the questions until the breakdown of answering them becomes second nature. It can definitely be overwhelming and frustrating, but practicing over time will yield rewarding results. If you unable to take a commercial preparation course, you should make a study schedule to keep yourself accountable and on track. Otherwise, it can be too easy to put off studying and letting discouragement distract you from your goals.  

My dad has always told me that success is when preparation meets opportunity. Daemen’s History and Political Science Department both prepared me through my course work and introduced me to new and exciting opportunities that have allowed me to grow in success each year. I am excited for the experiences and stories of success yet to come! 

*The Kaplan Scholarship was awarded to Dr. Lisa Parshall through the Northeast Pre Law Advisors Association (NAPLA). Dr. Parshall was awarded a NAPLA travel grant to attend their 2013 conference where she additionally received a preparation course certificate from Kaplan, Inc. to be conferred upon a student of her choosing.  Jordan was selected as the recipient based on need and in recognition of her outstanding service to the Department and College as a peer mentor, orientation leader, and active member of the student clubs/associations.     

No comments:

Post a Comment